Monday, June 15, 2009

Walking the Walk launched


My new book, 'Walking the Walk: the Rise of King David for Today' is duly published. It can be ordered now from Lichfield Cathedral Bookshop and will be available on general release from 3 July.

I do count myself fortunate. The party on Friday night was great fun and I felt very privileged to have the support of such a generous group of friends and colleagues, who came along. It was especially exciting to see some old friends, including members of the amazing church in Walsall (St Paul's at the Crossing in Walsall), of which I was fortunate enough to be the vicar until a few years ago.

I'd managed to find a terrific harpist, Kathryn Lewis, to come and play, which gave the event the perfect focus. And the sale of books was encouraging. Of course, I forgot to arrange pictures...

The Editorial Director of Paternoster, Dr Robin Parry, came along and said some kind words about the book. Then I got to say some thanks to those who've supported and encouraged me in the writing of the book, as well as a few words about the point of the book. The way I read it, the story of David's rise is as much as anything about the value of restraint. That's a quality we've had to cultivate here at Lichfield Cathedral over recent months, so it was a pleasure to be able to dedicate the book to my clergy colleagues here: the Dean (Adrian Dorber), Canon Precentor (Wealands Bell) and Canon Treasurer (Chris Liley). They're a great example of godly restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment